Multi-disciplinary services for Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) which is part of the Emergency Services and Critical Care Division
Outpatient clinics providing treatment for Ear, Nose and Throat conditions.
We also run a clinic for allergy testing and a clinic for investigation of dizziness.
We have dedicated childrens clinics to deal with most common Ear Nose and Throat problems.
The department provides fully comprehensive Ear, Nose and Throat services.
Diagnostic and Treatment - Cancer diagnosis takes place at Tameside but, for further management the patient is referred to MRI/Christie. We have managed to keep our Two Week Cancer referrals to within 100% of the target.
Our Outpatient department provides testing for allergies, hearing tests for deafness and also investigations for dizziness. Our busy hearing aid services have managed to reduce waiting times significantly by the appointment of a new audiometrician.
We provide a Choose and Book service, and waiting times for Outpatients is currently 4/5 weeks for a new referral. Our waiting times from GP referral to Surgery is at present in the range of 12 weeks which means we are already achieving the Governments target of 18 weeks.
We provide day surgery and inpatient services five days a week.
For adult services we provide comprehensive ENT surgery including: Laser treatment, sinus surgery and rhinoplasty. We provide emergency cover from Monday to Friday (8am to 5pm) with emergency transfer to MRI over the weekend.
The ENT department deals with most ear, nose and throat problems in children. This includes:-
- Sore throat
- Hearing loss
- Glue ear
- Ear infection
- Neck swelling
- Snoring and sleep apnoea
- Prominent ear
- Nasal obstruction
- Foreign body in the ear, nose or throat
We carry out most paediatric surgeries like tonsillectomy, grommets insertion, adenoidectomy, myringoplasty, mastoid surgery, pinnaplasty (correction of prominent ears). Over 90% of our operative services are carried out on a day-case service. A post-operative audit of parents following tonsillectomy showed a highly positive response to all aspects of their children's care.
Laryngology and Head & Neck Surgery
We carry out diagnosis and management of diseases of the mouth, tongue, pharynx, larynx, oesophagus and upper aero-digestive tract. These include:-
- Throat disorders
- Neck swelling
- Voice disorders
- Trauma to the head and neck
- Disorders of swallowing
- Airway problems and related airway breathing problems
- Benign and malignant cancers of the lips, tongue, mouth, oropharynx, larynx, hypopharynx and upper oesophagus
- Disorders of the salivery glands
We carry out diagnosis and management of congenital or acquired diseases of the nose and paranasal sinuses including:-
- Nasal obstruction and cosmetic nasal deformity
- Nasal symptoms caused by rhinitis and sinusitis (acute or chronic)
- Smell and taste disorders
- Benign and malignant tumours of the nose and paranasal sinuses
We carry out the diagnosis and management of congenital or acquired diseases of the ear:-
- Ear infections
- Mastoid diseases
- Hearing loss
- Vertigo and balance disorders
- Tinnitus (noises in the ear)
- Benign and malignant tumours of the ear
The Hearing centre / Audiology
- 4 weeks or less for an assessment of hearing aid users (new and existing users)
- Fitting of FREE DIGITAL aids
- Follow up appointments and comprehensive advice and maintenance service available at the hospital and in the community
- Strong links with the services, education and voluntary organisations ensures a patient centred approach
Specialist nurse practitioner clinic
Contact Details: 0161 922 6468 or 0161 922 6469
Location: Ward 29, Charlesworth Building
Tel: 0161 922 6468/6469
Ward 29, Charlesworth Building
Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust