Tameside & Glossop Integrated Care NHS FT's HALS (Hospital Alcohol Liaison Service) was established in 2013, and to date the three strong nursing team have now seen over 3400 patients.
Operational 7 days a week, they offer a rapid response to all inpatient and outpatient Departments within the Hospital.
In addition to response work, the nurses within the service have launched:
- A nurse led Fibroscan service (to aid the identification of early Liver Harm)
- A nurse led daily Ambulatory Detoxification clinic (fully flexible to patient requirement)
- Nurse Led teaching programmes on Alcohol harm
- Trained Alcohol Champions in each clinical area - as Ambassadors for best practice
- Formal co-working processes with community agencies to improve patient outcomes
- A formal Alcohol screening Pathway for Pregnancy (MAMA) which aims to prevent FASD (to our knowledge this is the first pathway of its kind in the U.K)
Almost immediately the HALS model has proved to have a significant and positive impact in securing reductions in re-presentations, LOS, excellent patient experience and clinical outcomes. During the last 3 years, the innovations within this service have received both International and National recognition.
HALS have also featured on the front cover of the Nursing Standard, with articles published in both print and online:
(A new approach to alcohol misuse: Nurses in north west England are leading an initiative to prevent and treat alcohol harm)
Nurse innovations transform trust's approach to alcohol harm
1 in 100 babies: why we created a fetal alcohol spectrum disorder pathway
Furthermore, NICE has recognised HALS as falling within the top 20 U.K clinical projects currently in operation within the NHS.
HALS are currently in receipt of a Hat Trick of National Awards from:
- HSJ: for Value in Healthcare in terms of service delivery and innovation within specialist services
- BMJ in collaboration with PHE for Clinical excellence ( Awarded as the U.K Prevention Team of the Year 2016)
- NTA for nursing innovation and excellence