Dignity, respect, trust and partnership underpin our mission and values.
Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust was established on 1 February 2008. Previously, the Trust had operated as Tameside and Glossop Acute Services NHS Trust since 1994.
The Trust operates from the Tameside General Hospital site, which is situated in Ashton–under-Lyne. The hospital services a population of approximately 250,000 residing in the surrounding area of Tameside in Greater Manchester, and the town of Glossop in Derbyshire.
Employing approximately 2,300 staff, the hospital provides the wide array of services one would associate with a general hospital. These services include general and specialist medicine, general and specialist surgery and full Consultant led obstetric and paediatric hospital services for women, children and babies.
The Health Investment in Tameside (HIT) was completed December 2010 and involved the comprehensive restructuring of the hospital site. Most of the older buildings have been demolished and replaced with new, state of the art facilities. These facilities include new wards, new inpatient and day case theatres, new outpatient clinics, new diagnostic departments (including new x-ray facilities), a new pharmacy and a new integrated children’s unit.
Our mission statement is “At Tameside Hospital ‘ Everyone Matters.’ Our aim is to deliver , with our partners, safe, effective and personal care, which you can trust.“
The corporate objectives approved by the Trust Board for 2012/13 are:
- Further improve patient safety and clinical outcomes and and achieve the highest standards in Dignity in Care
- Improve patient reported experience of care at the Trust
- Deliver the Trust Financial Plan for 2012/13 in accordance with the principles established in 2011/12
- Development and delivery of an effective clinical service strategy to ensure sustainability of local secondary care healthcare services
- Development of an empowered and accountable workforce to deliver the organisation’s goals
- Ensure compliance with all required regulatory and performance standards, including meeting the Regulator’s new licensing requirements
For more details read our corporate objectives document (pdf)
Brief guide to Tameside Hospital's history
Tameside Hospital has been around in one form or another since its establishment around the old Darnton Building in 1861 by founders Samuel Oldham and Henry Darnton.
Oldham's stated intention in founding Ashton District Infirmary was to create an institution "for the relief and cure of sick and indigent persons resident, employed, or having been employed within 3 ½ miles of Ashton Town Hall." After its formation a separate workhouse was built nearby, the head building of which was Fountain House.
Upon the formation of the National Health Service in 1948, the old hospital joined with the buildings of the old workhouse (by then, thankfully, closed down) to form the new Ashton-under-Lyne General Hospital, now dedicated to fulfilling the NHS's ideals of providing healthcare to all, regardless of ability to pay. It has continued with this invaluable role ever since, and carries on today.
The hospital changed its name to Tameside General Hospital in 1976, and over the following decades new buildings were built to provide better standards of care for all the people of the surrounding towns of Tameside and Glossop, with the main centre of care shifting from the Darnton Building to the Hartshead Building.
In 2008 the hospital gained Foundation Trust status. With the HIT project over the past few years, the site has once again evolved to meet the needs of local people.